Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Assessing Glow Plug on W50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Assessing Glow Plug on W50
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014 20:28 
Midshipman

My W50 runs great but sometimes starts hard when the outside temperature is a little cool. I've had to turn the battery selector switch to both batteries sometimes to start the engine. Once the engine has started, it will start easily the rest of the day, so I don't think it is due to dirty injectors. I used to use just one battery and have it start in 2 revolutions of the engine - even after sitting 6 months over the MI winter. I'm wondering if the glow plug, which I always use, is no longer working. I'm not an electrician and not sure if this can be checked with a meter, or if there's another way to see if its working. A new glow plug is a bit expensive and I'll buy a new one if I need to. I have two relatively new deep cycle batteries and they are fully charged via the new on-board charger (new last year). Any suggestions or other things that could cause this? Thanks.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Assessing Glow Plug on W50
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014 22:16 
Skipper

You can the check the glow plug by checking the resistance before you remove the glowplug(s) from the engine blocks. You can do this by touching one end of your ohm meter to the end of the glowplug (after removing the wire/harness from the glowplug), and the other to your engine block. Do this to all of your glowplugs. The glowplug(s) that show open are having greater resistance are bad. Typically, 3 will read (nearly) identical resistance, and the 4th will show much greater resistance. Also inspect the wiring harness while doing this. You can watch your your amp meter while preheating the engine, that will verify the circuit is working.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2014 03:31 
Skipper

I had the same concern with my engine this winter. I tried the resistence check as described above. All 4 checked out ok. Just to be sure I then removed all 4. It wasn't too hard but I did have to loosen the fuel injector tubes for some to get access. I tested all 4 indivdually with my portable battery charger. In my case, they all worked fine. Surprising after 35 years.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014 10:15 
Skipper

Out of curiosity, how long do you glow? On a cold day our W50 needs a very slow 10 count. If I skimp, I'll get no firing and realize she needs more.

Random thoughts to consider...

If one glow was bad, I think you would still start with a stumble. I've run the thing on 3 cylinders before so 3 warm glo plugs would maybe start with a stumble and then smooth out as the fourth cyl comes to life. If that's true, perhaps that means your issue is common to all glow plugs i.e. wiring harness, glow button, or just the length of the glow.

Last suggestion, I find on cold days she needs a crank that is fully up to speed. A weak batt can start her in the heat but with cold she needs the fast crank to get the oil flowing and the compression up. If you hear a difference in crank speed between your first attempt with one batt and your second with all, perhaps your starting battery is losing it's umph just enough to be an issue only on a cold day.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 May 2014 06:27 
Midshipman

Thanks guys. I will check the items you suggested. I did buy a volt/ohm meter but I am a beginner in using it. I'm also anxious to watch the amp meter to see if it is drawing any current when I push the glow plug button. BTW, I was told to hold the button in for 20 seconds (one-thousand one...) and like I said, in the past the engine would fire up on the second revolution even after sitting all winter. So this is confusing to me. I'm wondering too if maybe a wire came loose from the back of the instrument panel in the cockpit and see 4 screws that I can remove to check that. But I put in a new battery charger last year that has red/green lights to tell me when the batteries are topped off, and I still had the same problem with a full charge. Can you have a full charge and still lack starting power?

Anyway, the boat goes in tomorrow and I will be able to play around with a few of these ideas. Thanks again guys.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 May 2014 09:44 
Skipper

If you have a bad cell, the battery can indicate it's fully charged but if the engine cranks over at its normal starting rpm, the battery is fine for starting including powering the glow plugs.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email