Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W-50 exhaust

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 17 Jun 2024 01:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W-50 exhaust
PostPosted: 20 May 2024 18:18 
Skipper

I’ve tried heat and cold (ice inside the pipe after heating the manifold) and it has been soaked with penetrating oil for a few days. Any other suggestions? It’s been in place for around 25 years. The pipe is stainless steel.

Attachments:
207A6600-FD87-4298-8020-3A815D7104D2.jpeg
207A6600-FD87-4298-8020-3A815D7104D2.jpeg [ 897.8 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W-50 exhaust
PostPosted: 25 May 2024 10:34 
Skipper

Exhaust manifold is off and headed to my shop. I was surprised by how little effort it took to remover the nuts and bolts. I assume the torque value for reinstall is relatively light? The manifold gasket looks clean and undamaged. Is there any reason I can’t reuse it? Not trying to be cheap, only practical. I may end up replacing the heat exchanger while I have it apart. Recommendations for aftermarket replacement? I’m curious if anyone who has done this has a magic pill for rethreading the manifold nuts!? My fingers are kind of thick for that space! Is anyone aware of a secondary market for the valve cover gasket? I replaced mine around 10 years ago and my recollection was that Westerbeake was off the chart expensive. The gasket looks okay so I probably don’t have to replace it. Any other suggestions while I have the motor torn down to this extent?

Thanks,

Esprit #324

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2024 07:51 
Skipper

I got the manifold separated from the heat exchanger and there was some sort of gelatinous rubber in the opening where coolant passed between the manifold and the heat exchanger. I'll post a picture shortly. I suspect that is the source of my nagging overheating problem (only above 1,500 RPM). I put a 1-1/8" deep socket into the pipe and wedged it in place. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the pipe and the socket and inserted a 3/8" bolt through the hole. That allowed me to put my impact wrench on the pipe. So far I have managed to get about 1/8-1/4 turn (I have watched the threads separate and turn in the manifold so I don't think I am just breaking the pipe). A little heat and penetrating fluid and I'll try again later to get it loose. I left my parts manual on the boat. Does anyone have the Westerbeke part number for the manifold to engine block gasket and the manifold to heat exchanger gaskets? If not, does anyone have a link to a .pdf copy of the parts list? I'll start looking myself.

Thanks

Chip
Esprit #324

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2024 08:27 
Skipper

Trying to post pictures but running into difficulties

Attachments:
File comment: Heat Exchanger
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg [ 82.14 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2024 09:22 
Skipper

Hopefully someone has been through this and can shed some light. It does look like I have to replace the manifold gasket. In order to reinstall the manifold it looks like the gasket has to be placed on the ending block over the studs. Mine came off stuck to the manifold and I assume I will destroy it when I get it off. I found the Westerbeke parts manual and they want $90 for that gasket. I will if I have to but has anyone found a different source for that part? Same for the rocker cover gasket. $60+.

Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2024 11:43 
Skipper

I found the manifold to head gasket at Northwoods Tractor for around $8.00 ($96 from Westerbeke). The intake openings in the gasket are round whereas the intake openings in the Westerbeke gasket are square. Otherwise, it looks the same. Has anyone made this substitution? The rocker cover gasket is also $8.00 from Northwood where it is $60+ from Westerbeke. Again, I am not trying to be cheap, but I am trying to be practical.

Chip

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2024 17:53 
Skipper

The manifold to head gasket is 11859

The manifold to heat exchanger is 13663

But it sounds like I'm too late with this. User

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2024 19:09 
Skipper

Thanks Wayne,

I have ordered parts from Northwood and I’ll see if that gasket works. I’ll report back and let folks know in case anyone else runs into the same issue. The weatherman is just wrong….he isn’t necessarily lying!

Thanks

Chip

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2024 08:35 
Tactictian

I have done a total rebuild on my westerbeke 50 using Northwoods as my supplier for everything from connecting rod, all my bearing for a machined crankshaft, glow plugs, head bolts all gasket, rear main seal, etc..Excellent service from the proprietor and scheduled delivery. Westerbeke don't build engines. Leyland does and our motors are the BMD-1800. even an MGB waterpump fits. Forgot mention I bought the fuel pump as well. No problem with parts from Northwoods and they get a weekly orders from the UK

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2024 07:28 
Skipper

This is a big help. Thank you. I have everything back together and still have a tiny leak (one drop every 30 seconds or so) in the fresh water side. I think it is the manifold to the heat exchanger joint that is weeping. I’m going to try and get another half turn on the 2 nuts that cover that connection but if that doesn’t work, I’ll take it apart again. It will go much faster this time! My over heating problem appears to be traced to the weird blockage that I discovered in that joint when I took it apart (picture posted I think). I have no idea where that came from. One thing that I have noticed and now confirmed; I took the oil cooler out of the cooling circuit a couple years ago. That was the same year the motor started over heating. When the motor reached full operating temperature, the oil pressure dropped from 75lbs to 50lbs at cruising speed. At that point, I couldn’t run beyond 1400rpm without over heating. Now the over heating is solved and I am back to 1800 with no problems. However, the oil pressure still drops to 50 lbs. Before all this started, the oil pressure stayed at 75lbs. I am inclined to clean the oil cooler and put it back in the circuit to see if the pressure goes back up.

Profile Email