Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Almost put a "For Sale" sign on the boat this week.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 11:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Almost put a "For Sale" sign on the boat this week.
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2023 20:52 
Skipper

Last month, we had the boat out and motor sailed about as the winds were really fluky. Any way, we came back this week to pull the paddlewheel and close the engine seacock that we didn't do previously due to rain and having company with us. Before we closed the seacock, the Admiral wanted to run the engine. OK. No Problemo. Except that no water is flowing from the exhaust pipe and no gurgling can be heard either. Dammit. It was working two weeks ago. Pull the cover off the raw water pump and inspect the impeller. No missing vanes. Hmm. Pull the hose off the seacock to check supply. Nice flow into the boat but the hose clamp is about to fail. Rusted almost in two on the under side of the hose. Hey, I got spares. New hose clamp on the seacock. So water is getting to the pump and the pump looks good. Had the Admiral bump the engine to make sure the impeller was moving with the pump shaft. (Had that happen before.) Well, hell. The heat exchanger must be fouled. Remove the end plate. Mine does not have the rubber boot everyone else cusses. Zinc is shot. No Problemo. I have spares. Except they are spares for the oil cooler and don't fit the heat exchanger. (Actually, the Admiral looked for the spares and I really thought I had a set in the engine parts box.) Get out my metal coat hanger rod out device and check the top inboard 5 or 6 tubes. No issues. Put everything back together and start the engine. No water and no gurgling. I'm running out of cuss words by now so we stop for the night.

The next day, I find out that the hose clamp on the pump suction is MIA. This could be an issue if the pump is sucking in air at this point. Unlikely but I install a new hose clamp here while noticing sufficient water flow to the pump. I disconnect the pump discharge hose cause I want to test for a blockage by blowing air through the hose, heat exchanger, vacuum breaker and the exhaust elbow. Something on the end of the hose tastes NASTY. I think I poisoned myself but I can here air gurgling in the exhaust muffler so I'm calling it a draw. Told the Admiral to start the engine while I was holding the hose free. Yes, the water pump is working FINE! Slam the hose onto the pump discharge and tighten the clamp. This one is in good shape.

By the time I get done and look into the cockpit, the Admiral is smiling from ear to ear! Success!! Why? How? What was different? Sheesh. Ran the engine for about 20 minutes and it is running cooler than the last time we had her out. Yay!

So I'm crawling out of the bowels of the port side of the engine and notice the solar charger remote display is not on. HUH? The solar charger itself is displaying half characters and not moving. I call Xantrex Customer Support and I am # 10 in the queue so I leave my call back number with them. NO CALL BACK. The next morning I call Xantrex Customer Support and I am # 7 in the queue so I leave my call back number. NO CALL BACK. I talk to an authorized service center in Buda, TX and because it is not mounted in an RV, they will not service my charge controller. But the authorized service center in San Antonio, TX said they can do something with it. But we have another trip planned for the first weekend in November to stay several days on the hook to test run the 12v system before we take off on a long duration cruise. Will the ASC have it fixed by then? Can they fix it? So as a backup plan, I purchased a new charge controller from my favorite online dealer, (NOT WM), that I hope to return to them unopened and pristine. And it is already in transit to me. Plus 5 more zincs for the heat exchanger so we can find the 5 I know we have. Very Happy Very Happy

So the final moral to this story seems to be "Just because you're on the hard getting repairs done, don't let your Westerbeke sit for 2 years without running." Because things go wrong and you'll get so frustrated you start looking at younger mistresses.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Almost put a "For Sale" sign on the boat this week.
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2023 17:22 
Skipper

Wow, that is a lot of trouble shooting!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Solar charger part of the problem, Part 2
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2023 21:24 
Skipper

So I get to the Xantrex Authorized Service Center in San Antonio and the guys there take one look at the controller and say "Nope!". They give me a number in Houston to call and we leave for the house on Canyon Lake. Calling the Houston number I get the dreaded "The number you have dialed is no longer in service." Looking at the paper I got in San Antonio, the last time they had contact with the Houston people was 2003.

So I call Xantrex CS again and I'm #2 in the queue. They finally answer and I explain my problem. A couple of questions about how long I have had the unit and where I purchased it and the answer is it is under warranty and they are replacing it. It will ship out once Xantrex receives the proof of purchase and shipping address. So I am waiting on the second unit to arrive so I can send the other unit back. WIN!!!! Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023 20:31 
Skipper

Wow that is sweet and a welcome surprise

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023 18:57 
Skipper

I meant to post this earlier. Sorry.

I installed the replacement charge controller while we were out at anchor. It is in the battery compartment under the quarterberth. I get it all hooked up and the remote display is showing that the sun is out and charging the system. The original controller always displayed just the nighttime icon so was it bad from the beginning? It's the same remote display so it has to be the controller.

Oh, yeah. The engine overheated on us that weekend. But not because of any problem with the heat exchanger. The guys who worked on flushing the engine AND I missed something when we put everything back together. The freshwater suction hose to the pump was laying on the pulley for the raw water pump. Yep, wore a hole through the hose. I pulled the hose off and wrapped it with Rescue Tape. https://www.rescuetape.com/ The tape held while we motored back to the slip, say about hour and a half with no signs of leakage. Bought a new hose from the auto parts store and trimmed its length so that the hose runs behind the raw water pulley. And bought more tape. Toast

Profile Email