Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Why Trinidad

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Trinidad
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012 12:08 
Midshipman

This is a crazy question and may belong in another part of the Forum, but why are so many good-priced, used sailboats for sale lying in Trinidad. I figured, since it's off the South American coast that either people have made the Caribbean loop down thru BVI and the Antigua's, and are done with sailing (and don't want to sail back), or else they got there and realized there are so many pirates off Venezuela (sp) that they decided not to try their luck at sailing back to the US. The second idea is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but it just seems like there are a lot of good-priced boats that are lying in Trinidad and always wondered why. Any thoughts or answers??

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Why Trinidad
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012 20:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

Those sound like good guesses.
I would add that there are a lot of nice boats for sale everywhere - maybe for the same reason. Those of us that could could be happy live-aboard often "overstay" the grace of our crews - I know I have done that and friends have done that. I bought the T37 instead of a nicer/newer ready cruiser because I wanted a boat I did not have to sell if my wife lost interest. I will rig it for single handed sailing and with time for one handed sailing if it comes to that. But I also chose the centerboard because it can take me down the French Canals or somewhere else like that when the big stuff gets to be too much.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Why Trinidad
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012 08:56 
Skipper

Though I do not have any direct experience with Trinidad, I believe people take their boats there to have work done. Apparently Trinidad has decently skilled workers and parts can be shipped there relatively quickly. Why people are selling more there is a combination of things: out of the hurricane belt, large island (proportionately more boats)with many marinas/boatyards and major airport.

Profile Email