Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Who loves the prop walk like I do?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Lose the prop walk?
Yes - If I could. 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
No - I depend on it to put the boat where I want it. 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Re: Who loves the prop walk like I do?
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012 16:27 
Able Bodied Seaman

As a T37 newbie, initially the prop walk basically messed with my head big time. It was a big step from my 17' daysailer with the 2 1/2 h outboard. I remember slipping into Port Austin, MI one night last June bringing the Zephyr home to Muskegon, MI. Dark and poorly marked in the harbor, I held position in reverse to port while we figured what was going on. Doing donuts in reverse turned out to be an affective technique. The most important thing I eventually learned, for any other newbies out there, is that with the board down (assuming you have depth) your maneuverability dramatically improves in both reverse and forward.

Scott

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012 21:38 
Skipper

Good point. I have the full keel so I always have a pivot point. Without it I'd imagine you get a portion of that prop walk pushing sideways.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013 04:08 
Skipper

After owning my boat 5 years and backing her out of the slip many times I'm somewhat better at it than when I first bought it. I've chartered boats that backed up on a dime.... not so with the Tartan 37 and that skeg rudder. I'm beginning to believe when backing up, less wheel is better. I echo the comment someone else made.... some times the boat backs straight then other times it seems I have no steerage at all in reverse. One thing is for sure, a short hard blast on the accelerator gets the water moving against the rudder which enables better steerage in reverse.

I'll try the board down technique.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015 22:25 
Rail Meat

Also new to the T37. After practicing managing the port (2 blade fixed) prop walk a bit in open water and a few confidence building maneuverings in tight quarters, I was bested returning to the slip. Had a light though puffy tail wind in the fairway on approach and a turn to starboard into the slip, which is quite narrow--barely a foot either side if that. CB was up. Looked to be a successful docking when I slipped it into reverse to slow. The combination of the pull to port from the prop and the now cross-wind pushing the stern to port made for a fire drill.

Wondering is there any way to mitigate the walk to port in reverse? Rudder angle perhaps or, as mentioned, lower the centerboard partway/fully depth allowing? Too much speed can be a problem to be sure as can too little but suspect in the conditions described it holds part of the answer.

Any thoughts from those with more opportunities to practice?

Eric

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015 17:08 
Skipper

Until water is flowing past the rudder, you will have prop walk. All I can say is practice, practice, practice.

Which Connie and I did a lot of when we first got the boat. And I still sometimes have "fire drills". The current flows east and west due to marine traffic in the ICW while the winds usually blow from the south across the finger piers. And about the time you think you've got it, the current reverses. AGAIN.

One of these days I will be able to write the book on docking. But until then, I'm usually "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015 08:49 
Skipper

In time you'll find yourself accommodating it without a thought. If I'm going in hot, I'll aim her in twisted knowing I'll need the heavy reverse to stop so the nose lands where I want it by the time she's whoa'd up. And you can use it to your advantage by managing throttle. Pulling out with a heavy wind on the STBD, I juice the reverse enough to keep the bow centered. With speed the impact is less so the throttle ramps up as we depart. Then the nose clears the slip and I can cut the throttle and let the wind and rudder take over.

Handiest is the foreign port when you chug down the wrong pier and you need to pull a U-turn in a tight space. You get enough forward speed on so the reverse can help complete the wheel right. (Though onlookers may think you're playing chicken with the docked boats at first)

We have the fin keel, but I imagine the walk would be less dramatic with the board up since you're taking away the pivot point.

Basically, if you expect it, you can use it. I've had a lot of boaters think I wasn't going to make it and then stand in awe when she slides right where she needs to be. At this point the neighbors know not to bother running over.

For training, I'd recommend next time you go out and find no wind, do a couple u-turns in the open. Run it up to 3kts and see how tight a u-turn you can do to the right. Your wake should give you an idea of how it went.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email