Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Dumb Question on Mooring Bouys

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dumb Question on Mooring Bouys
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007 18:56 
Midshipman

Here's a question on mooring bouys that is probably elementary for most of you, however in sailing in the Great Lakes, I either dock or anchor and never have to use one. I've looked at Chapman's but it doesn't really give much insight. So can someone give me some insight on how I attach to the bouy? Thanks. Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Dumb Question on Mooring Bouys
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007 22:49 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have been using mooring for over 20 years and I only recall seeing rope used from the bouy or float. Many moorings have ropes attached permanently for the owner or renter to use. There is always the possibility that you will find a mooring you wish to use that has no rope (pennent) in that case it is a matter to attach one for your own use. The length of rope seems to be a local custom, some harbors have boat length pennents others seem to be quite short not even reaching to the deck without bring the float too close. It is not unusual to tie a docking line on a mooring rope when the mooring rope is foul with slime or weed to keep the topsides cleaner. In some ports there is very little room such as Rockport MA, there the permanent mooring holders have very short ropes forward and have a stern mooring aft to prevent swinging.

Sam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007 01:49 
Skipper

Last spring Sail Magazine had a neat trick for grabbing a mooring when you can't hook the line. Hold both ends of a dock line or spare jib sheet and toss the rest over the bouy so it's looped around the ball. Then you can grab it up and hook onto the eye or pennant at your leisure. Wish I'd known that trick when we lost our boat hook on a charter in Key West. I pulled up to loue cay and backed into the mooring ball while my sister stood on the swim platform for the grab. Just a bit nerve wracking when you're 20 ft from visible rocks/reef.

I was going to move this post but realized there's no place for it. Anyone think we need a Seamanship forum?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007 08:21 
Midshipman

Thanks guys. Yeah, I looked at the other categories and could not find a better place. A new "seamanship" category would be a good idea.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I sail my T37 solo at times, dock it by myself, and have anchored her solo too spending nights and afternoons on the hook. I have just never rented a mooring bouy and just motor by them and it is pretty hard to see what is below the water from the deck of the boat. But we have a marina down the lake that I thought would be a good practice spot for an overnight but would rather know what to expect before I get there.

Thanks again. Any other tips or thoughts are welcome.

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email