Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - top down furlers

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: top down furlers
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022 18:49 
Tactictian

Is anybody using a top down furler for spinnakers? I'm looking at a number of units and was wondering if anyone on the forum had experience and could comment on their particular unit. They seem to be an excellent bit of gear for short handed sailing. #337

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: top down furlers
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022 09:19 
Skipper

They are nice, a little costly. I have a sock for my a-chute, but have sailed with a top down. They are very helpful and quicker and safer getting the sail out and back in. Can be setup before you leave the dock and can wait till you get back to be taken down, safer there. Also nice if the sail is staying up for the day setting and resetting. Helpful if sail is launched from a bow sprit, it's ready to go. One thing they take a little more time to set up, but after that much easier to deploy. They are also easier to stow, as the are rolled up tight. Top down furlers, the sails go almost to the deck, needing a new sail to use. Lower to the deck sails are very hard to see under and add some risk and safety concerns. The close to the deck a-chutes allows for bigger sail and with the sail closer to the water. That was a big concern for me when offshore or being overpowered. I actually went down in size on our a-chute, got scared a couple time with the bigger one offshore. In the bay it was fine.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: top down furlers
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022 10:50 
Tactictian

Thanks for that response. I appreciate the view. I am mostly interested in deploying a chute when single/short handed and would probably downsize the chute. I think your comment about visibility is well taken and I would use it when I had lots of room in a cruising situation. I also like the ability to quickly furl and re-dploy in a gybe. All in all they seem worth the expense.#337

Profile Email