Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Stern Anchor

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stern Anchor
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018 02:52 
Skipper

I'm trying to decide on a stern anchor for the boat. I currently have a 20kg (45lbs) Rocna as my main anchor on the bow. I've been looking at the Fortress FX-16 or FX-23 as the stern but don't know which one would be a good fit for the stern of the boat. We are planning on cruising in the Sea of Cortez.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Stern Anchor
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018 18:52 
Skipper

Fortress worked well in the Caribbean for "water winnebago" camping.

Last edited by Maineiac on 01 Oct 2018 09:06, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018 04:25 
Skipper

I used a 13lb Danforth for a stern anchor for my years in Central America cruising and never had a problem. I think overdoing it here with size can cause a big problem. If you actually are anchoring someplace where your stern anchor is going to be relied on to do anything but keep your bow into the waves or wind, you need to rig a Bahamian Moor arrangement with two solid anchors set properly and of proper size to hold the boat. You do not need much at all to keep the bow centered—you will be surprised and pleased at how much holding power a small anchor has to do the job. Problem with big anchors is that most folks start to get reluctant to deploy them when they stop to think about the hassle of recovering them. The best anchor is one you will use, not what you have in the locker someplace. I rigged my little Danforth on a holder on the stern rail. It was a trial, sometimes, to extract it from the bottom when it had tension applied. Sort of undermined my thoughts about “holding power” of certain designs.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018 07:10 
Skipper

Going smaller opens another advantage. I keep a Fortress FX-11 in the stern (though in the Chesapeake it doesn't get any use!). I modified the support for the lasserette(sp) shelf so that instead of one center support, I have two that are at the correct distance apart for the anchor to drop in there. A large canvas boat bag hung in place directly beneath will hold the tackle. Very easy to stow and deploy. It also serves as a quick and ready anchor deployed from the helm in an emergency. Obviously the FX-11 is too small to be considered for a primary anchor but it will hold the boat just fine in light to moderate conditions.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018 22:24 
Skipper

So I think I'm going to go with an FX-11 for the stern. I like the idea of easy to deploy and accessible. It should compliment the Rocna 20kg nicely. Still need to look at a true storm anchor that I can stow. Maybe the FX-37 Smile

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018 15:30 
Skipper

Any thoughts on what size line to attach for the rode? I'm getting about 15 ft of chain to go on it and I was thinking 1/2 inch line?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018 17:57 
Skipper

I am convinced that 1/2” line today is smaller than 1/2” line 20 years ago. I’m pretty sure New England Ropes has a 9/16” three strand. That’s what I would get. 1/2” would have as much holding as you need but it is smaller in your hands which I think makes it more uncomfortable.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018 17:30 
Skipper

We have a #13 Danforth Deepset HT, for a lunch/stern anchor. It's rated for a 42ft boat. This is my 2nd. The first got buried so deep, could not get it out. That was after holding three boat raft-up in 60kts for 30 min. All boats were over +37ft, two were trawlers. We use a 15ft chain and 150ft rode. We anchor mostly in 10-15ft with sand bottom. They are actually getting hard to fine.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019 19:05 
Skipper

How much line do you think we should add to the anchor. I have 15 ft of 1/4 inch chain for the FX-11. I was thinking maybe 200ft of 1/2 inch 3 strand? We'll be cruising in the Sea of Cortez.

Profile Email