Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - What size Jib?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What size Jib?
PostPosted: 03 May 2013 23:18 
Skipper

I got a question what size jibs do you cruise with, offshore or Islands and the inshore/bay summers. The only headsails I have are summer sails 150-155% RF. I had two #4s about 90% I sold them. I'm thinking in a few years we'll be cruising South and thinking a 110 to 125% on RF would be a good choice. Thoughts.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What size Jib?
PostPosted: 04 May 2013 09:54 
Skipper

When I had my boat in San Francisco Bay, I carried a sail that was about 105% and it seemed just right for my deep fin keeled T37 in the blustery Bay winds. I used the same sail for the trip through the Panama Canal to Maine where I had a 125% made which seems to be right for the coastal cruising I do here in Maine where I have time to find a harbor or get behind an island if it stars to blow stink--I did not have that option off Baja when we had 30+kts for three days or the two days off Honduras in 25+ off the nose. On my long trip there were times when I might have liked more sail or less, but I would recommend you err on the side of less if you are really going offshore--most people do not sail there and will do fine with bigger sails. Yes you can reef the headsail with the furler, but I find the boat handles like sailing an old shoe when headsail is reefed and it puts new shapes in the fabric in high winds. Reefing a headsail is not the same effect as reefing the main. As long as you are not racing for money, I would prefer to be "out there" wishing I had more sail area, than find myself in a squall wishing there was a way to make it smaller without distorting the sailing manners of the boat or creating new bulges in the sail. The additional sail area makes very little difference in the top speed of the boat. But all this depends on where and how you intend to use the boat. I am sure others will think differently.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 May 2013 15:40 
Skipper

Kind of what Velera says. I keep a working jib (100%/#3) on the furler. I sailed the boat fro the Chesapeake to Florida keys this past fall (late) and there were times that I wished for a smaller jib yet (#4). Over 30'knot gusts (not uncommon offshore) over power the boat with a working jib and I don't like relying on the furler for
sail reduction. I never once wished that I had a larger headsail "hanked on". I carry a beautiful 150 (#1) and I've yet to use it. Maybe I'm just a pussy.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 May 2013 12:54 
Skipper

I recently had a new set of sails made for Betty Lou. My cruising grounds vary from the Columbia River to the West Coast of Vancouver Island to the light airs of the Inside Passage. The boat came from the PO with a 155 genoa and a #4. When I had the new sails made I opted for a 135 to replace the 155, kept the #4 in the inventory, and added a cruising chute for light air days. Most days on the river I am sailing with rookie crews, and the larger headsails are a lot of work on the river, when we tack the boat every two or three minutes. The smaller working jib makes it easier to work with these inexperienced crew, and since we often have winds in the 15 - 20 knots in the afternoon it drives the boat just fine. On the downwind leg back to the slip we roll up the #4 and pop the chute.

For off-shore heading north up the Washington coast I set the #4 if the forecast is for higher winds, especially at night. But often summer passages along this coast have light winds, and the 135 or the chute come up out of the v-berth.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013 16:05 
Skipper

We just have the 150 on a furler. The main (also furled in mast) does so little beyond balancing, that the head sail is the first thing we reef. Or some days over 25kts we go head sail only. I'll grant the premise of the others... the shape leaves a bit to be desired. Over 30 we end up with a triangle of sail 6 ft off the deck. And if you're shortening on the fly it's usually a bit rough to move the fair leads to match. But we're a lazy crew that rarely leaves the cockpit and it's always served us well. It does take some guns to haul it in over 25 and letting it luff seems like the end of the world. Over 30 it sometimes takes a shift to the winch to get it in which always make me worry about the stress on the eyes for the furling line screwed into the toe rail. But never had an issue.

The bonus of the sail set is that on light wind days, you can put up a big light head sail. I'm stuck with my "all-weather" monster that flails in 5kts.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017 13:03 
Midshipman

We are going to have a new Genoa made for Skybird. The current sail is about 148% and seems to fit with our RF system well even though I suspect it was not originally built for our boat.
We sail western Lake Erie where more than 50% of the time it's light air of 10 knots or less. Occasional PHRF racing makes it important to maximize sail area, espescially with RF. We can go up to 155%. I am wondering if that is even usable surface area on a boat with such a disproportionately large J measurement. Anyone have any feedback on big RF headsail size? That extra 18 Sq ft between 150% and 155% doesn't seem like it will be that much help.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018 18:08 
Skipper

I have a 155 and a 150 and next one I buy for summers will be the 150, the extra 5% isn't worthwhile unless you are racing. The 150 is a better sail upwind, tacking and handling. It's already 24ft. Hope you have Lewmar 48s.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email