Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Okeechobee Waterway

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Okeechobee Waterway
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017 07:15 
Skipper

Anyone ever done the Okeechobee Waterway? I see the one bridge that is 49' but apparently you can contact someone to lean the boat over with water barrels. Sounds interesting.... Just wondering if a Tartan 37 has ever done it. Thanks, Zach

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Okeechobee Waterway
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017 07:50 
Skipper

Zach, what do you think your air-draft is? You could sent someone aloft beforehand and take the wind inst and your VHF antenna down. That would reduce risk and height. I think we're just under 52ft, without VHF and wind instruments. 3ft is a bunch to heel over. To get off while aground, no help was around. We filled the dingy with a bunch of water jerry-jugs, adding other items of weight like, dive gear, outboard motor & gas jugs. Then lifted the dingy on the port side with the boom and halyard. I guess it weigh about 380lbs and we got about 13-15 degrees. Using the Trig calculator I would need 20 degrees of heel to get to 49ft. Let us know if it works.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-trigright.asp

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017 11:45 
Skipper

I went up yesterday and measured. I'm getting 45'7" to the deck then 4'4.5" from deck to water by way of leveled pole with a plumb line. Just at 50'. Then I have solid instruments sticking up 2'2" max. I called Billy that leans the boats over, and he keeps records. He's done quite a few Tartans and read to me their reported mast heights with extrusions. He had one other reported 50' then various between 51' to 53'. He got them all under and said mine would be no problem.

What I can't understand is if there is literature that says our masts are 52', how can mine be 2' shorter. Seems like a large variance. Anyone actually measured like I did? No way I'm off by more than a few inches and I think it's more accurate than that in fact.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017 16:55 
Skipper

Zack, I'm 51' 10" to my VHF antenna top, I'm closer to 50' everything stripped than 52' as the spec indicate.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017 17:51 
Skipper

Good to hear. I know my water line is low with all the stuff we keep on board. So, it sounds like being 50' (or even just under) to the top of the mast is in the realm of possibilities. Wonder if the 52 in the literature is with some hardware? I have one of those lightning pipe brush looking things that sticks up about 2'.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017 09:49 
Skipper

We used to go under the bridges in the Cape May Canal every year or two and my recollection was that 50' was the number we were shooting for. There was a measure on the side of the bridge that indicated the overhead clearance considering the tide.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017 13:49 
Skipper

I'm guessing 50 is the number for anyone whose mast was from the same place as mine. Guess different vintages could have been sourced different places resulting in different heights. Anyone actually measured and gotten the 52? For sure, it's always best to just go with that number, and you'll always be safe. We always went with 55 total just to be safe before we were interested in trying the Okeechobee. But aso good to know exact measurements at times too for general knowledge.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017 18:03 
Skipper

I think 50.5 is a good measurement to the top of the mast... I healed my mast coming down the TennTom waterway by taking every jerry jug,,,, about 8,,, plus me and tied all to the end of my boom.. we got about 10 degrees and got under a bridge with my vhf antenna banging on the steel. I took off my 1 foot anchor light prior to the trip... glade I did ... it probably would have been ripped off..

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017 13:47 
Skipper

We're at the Indiantown Marina now and meeting Billy at the Myakka railroad bridge about 8:45 am tomorrow morning (Sat June 24). We've been doing some live videos on Facebook and going to try that in the morning if anyone is interested. Feel free to friend me or can watch without it since my privacy settings are lax
www.facebook.com/zach.duncan.982
I'll also be making a video eventually on our YouTube channel once I get caught up there.
https://www.youtube.com/c/funonholiday

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017 06:57 
Skipper

Interesting discussion,according to Tartan37 sail measuring,the 'I' measurement[masthead to deck] is 47,plus maybe 4ft to water?
My mast is 52ft6in, 53ft6in to top of tricolor and 55ft2in to top of vhf ariel.
Thanks for the blog Zack.

Hull #6

Profile Email