Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Running Rigging Sizes

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running Rigging Sizes
PostPosted: 12 May 2016 10:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

Good Day All,

I am ready to replace my main halyard, jib sheets and roller furling line. I am curious if there's a recommended size/length or if there's a personal preference when it comes to sizing.

My main halyard appears to be 7/16" which I will probably keep in size. I am thinking I will need 115'.

My jib sheets are 5/8" but the salesman at APS thought that was too big and recommended I consider 7/16". I am thinking I need about 56' for each jib sheet. I'm just not sure if 7/16" will fit the Lewmar 48 winches.

My roller furling sheet I do not know the size but the APS salesman was recommending 3/8" and I thought 70' would be about right.

I greatly appreciate any feedback re: size/length of this rigging. FYI, he also recommended I get the VPC New England rope for the main halyard and jib sheets.

Jesse

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Running Rigging Sizes
PostPosted: 12 May 2016 12:07 
Skipper

Those sound about right in size and length. The 7/16 will work fine in your 48's. The running line size is really about feel as the strength of all of that stuff is way beyond anything you are going to experience. I would certainly measure your old sheets. I always add about 5' and cut them down if it is too long--there is no line stretcher if you have a peculiar need for a longer than average line for an oversized genny, for instance. You can buy very exotic line with limited stretch, but I have used Stayset (cheap) both in racing and 24 years of cruising and honestly cannot see that stretch has been much of an issue after the first time the lines have been loaded up. The main value of hi tech lines is the ability to use much smaller diameter lines (which you do not appear interested in doing), reduce stretch (which I do not see as a big issue on most Tartans--even racing, or weight aloft (which with the sewer pipe of a mast on my Tartan does not seem very sensible). But some Tartans are different.
Yes I am an old curmudgeon. But one who has sailed a lot of miles on my Tartan. You may want to take out the core of your furler line near the drum. Unless they have changed, many riggers used to do this to preserve room for more wraps of the sheets around the sail when furled. Not hard to do.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2016 07:36 
Rail Meat

I am in the process of the same line replacement, and was also wondering whether I needed to retain my 5/8" jib sheets. They certainly do have a nice feel to them, but I suspect I'll downsize slightly, based on the advice you received. If it helps, I also tried NE Rope's "Line Selection Guide" and thought you might like to see the results:

MAINSHEET REGATTA BRAID 11MM
JIB SHEET STA-SET 11MM
SPIN SHEET STA-SET X 10MM
TRAVELLER REGATTA BRAID 10MM
MAIN HALYARD STA-SET X 11MM
JIB HALYARD STA-SET X 11MM

My remaining decision whether to go with NE Ropes or Samson. I have a very strong preference for "Made in USA" for everything I buy these days. While I know both of them are based in the US, it is unclear to me whether they both manufacture all of their lines here. I've sent questions to both firms' customer service departments, but I'm wondering whether anyone here knows. (Or suggests other brands).

Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016 21:55 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks for the responses. This is still something I need to take care of but I just found a soft spot on my deck. Now I see spider cracks "everywhere". Tartan Hoping to find an old thread on next steps.

Jesse
Tartan

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016 14:52 
Skipper

Stuart--send us a picture of your spider cracks so we know where they are and we can probably tell you how to get at the structure below. The deck on T37's is not particularly rigid--it flexes a bit without being wet/soft--so do not move too quickly. I have a few spider cracks around the stanchions from docking folks who insist on using the lifelines to fend you and land the boat, but the T37's are solid glass under the stanchions so there is no core to replace. I did take the stanchions out once and put some epoxy in between the backing plates and the deck to strengthen this, but there are still cracks.

Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017 14:27 
Rail Meat

P.S. I went with Yale Cordage across the board: Sheets, Halyards, Reefing lines, Traveler. I'm very happy with the results

Profile Email