Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacement for jib furling line

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement for jib furling line
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2020 18:48 
Rail Meat

I'm about to replace my jib furling line. Any recommendations for length and diameter?

Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacement for jib furling line
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2020 23:37 
Skipper

I think 8mm or 3/8" is a good diameter. I think 50ft was the length, but not certain. I overload mine a little more than some, you get more leverage with some extra line on it. Any yacht braid is ok, but if you sail often with a partial furl, spend a little more low stretch line. Not as soft, so the line doesn't compress into the drum and jam. Of course the sail doesn't slip out further and further, with less stretch.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacement for jib furling line
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020 07:08 
Rail Meat

Thanks much. I was on the fence between 8 and 10 mm. After I posted this, I also checked the ProFurl web site which recommended 6 or 8 mm for boats up to 39 ft, so that suggested 8 mm to be sufficient. Your response gives me additional assurance :-)

I'm going for a bit longer. My old furling line was just a tad short, and required a long reach from the cockpit to reel it in at the end of a sail. I stupidly disposed of it before measuring it, but I'm figuring 65 feet should give me a bit of spare at the end, and I'd rather pay an extra $10 now, then regret a short line for a long time.

Profile Email