Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - How heavy an anchor can you carry?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How heavy an anchor can you carry?
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2022 15:15 
Able Bodied Seaman

Good Day All,

I’m curious as to how heavy an anchor some of you may be using or in your experience, how heavy an anchor you would carry for everyday use.

I currently have a 44 lb. Rocna with 125’ of 5/16” chain spliced to 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line. I rarely need more than 75’ or so which I snub with a single line or I’ll use the mantus bridle. So far, I have had great success with this arrangement.

However, I am considering purchasing a 55 lb Rocna should I need a “storm anchor” if I can’t get to the mangroves during a hurricane. Staying in my marina is not an option. That got me thinking about keeping that anchor on the bow all the time.

So, what do you think about this weight for “daily” use? Is anyone doing this already? Thanks so much.

Jesse

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: How heavy an anchor can you carry?
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2022 17:36 
Skipper

I carry a 35lb CQR on the bow with 40’ of 3/8” chain and 250’ of 5/8” 3 strand. I have never (knock wood) had a problem and I have been anchored in some relatively dicey circumstances. My problem is the boat sailing on the anchor when the wind fills in.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2022 08:13 
Skipper

Anchors everyone has an opinion, most good. I think the 44lb is the biggest I would carry and about 100ft chain. The T37 is very sensitive to weight on the bow. To the point of almost being dangerous, with boat hobby horsing and the bow punching into waves. Get a storm anchor. I was using a Manson 35lb with 30ft chain, cruised for 4 winters in Bahamas no problems. Went to 45lb and 90ft chain, I can feel the weight difference. The boat is a touch slower. When we raced, we were .1-.2kt slower with someone on the bow, very noticeable.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2022 07:14 
Tactictian

I use a 45lb Mantis, 110' of 5/16" G4, 200ft of 3 strand, and Mantis bridle. This is a good arrangement for me as it is heavy enough for secure anchoring but not so heavy that I can't pull up myself (I don't have a windlass). I do a significant amount of sailing, some in the ocean, and I find that this amount of weight on the bow (200lb approx) is OK. Our boats have high pitching moments anyway due to weight in the ends and a heavy spar. This creates an easy motion in more irregular seas but the downside is that when we encounter more regular waves at/near the pitch natural frequency and at low speeds our boats will hobby horse terribly. More weight on the bow will likely make this effect worse. My view is that I want reliable ground tackle on my bow at all times. I thought to change out to my secondary anchor/chain arrangement (Fortress 16 with 20ft chain) for Ches Bay cruising but I just didn't think it that important.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2022 23:53 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the feedback.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2022 22:17 
Skipper

I have never understood the idea of carrying a very heavy anchor. I have cruised both coasts of North and Central America in my T37 for 30 years and have never used anything other than a 35# CQR. I use too much chain (I have 240' on board but think 150 is enough). The only times I dragged were once when I "anchored" on a sunken slab of concrete and another time when my anchor was fouled in a sunken tarp. In my view, the "weight" you want is on the bottom, but in front of the anchor to minimize the jerking on the anchor from side to side. You also want an anchor that can reset itself if the current changes (though I use a Bahamian moor with a second anchor in places where the current reverses in large velocity) because it is the tugging and sailing on the anchor that loosens it from the set--and when I see the anchors with roll bars come up with a clod of the bottom in them--well, I wonder if they would ever reset after coming loose. Seems to me carrying an extra 5' of anchor chain on the bottom, directly in front of the anchor, is better insurance against pulling the thing out of the bottom than an extra 10lbs of anchor out on the bow. I anchored the other night on my Ericson 32 in 30 kt winds for a couple hours with an aluminum Danforth and had a hell of a time breaking it out from a muddy bottom.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2022 08:30 
Skipper

Rocna 33 with 125' 5/16" chain, 200' 5/8 rode. I gave away two danforths and a CQR. And bought a Fortress FX37 for backup. I used Fortress 37 on a 14,000# yawl and on a Pearson 10M for years in the Caribbean, lacking a windlass. Nothing like hauling up an aluminum anchor on 25' of 1/4" GR chain.

Only time I dragged a little was when I knew I would sleeping on anchor in Great Harbor JVD. The bottom in front of Foxy's is scoured. But she hung into a coral head at some point and what a pain that was.

Profile Email