Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Pointing with a T37 Keel/Centerboard

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pointing with a T37 Keel/Centerboard
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009 12:01 
Midshipman

I used to race on friends's boats and we did quite well (and left my own boat for cruising with the family). I learned a lot of sailing tips that I used on my Islander 28 and with a fin keel, I was able to point with the C&C's and once horizoned a Cal 25 going directly upwind (I was solo and they had 5 crew members). But this is my first time with a centerboard and I cannot figure out how to make my T37 point the way I would like.. especially in light air. One thing I have tried, (having a vang but not a solid vang), is to pull the traveler car over to windward beyond mid-ship so that the boom is exactly mid-ship. It helps a little, but this boat comes no where near what I was used to. In fact on two occasions, I have rolled in the jib and motor sailed to the next port... and you're hearing from a guy who hates to motor. I do have extra jib tracks on top of the cabin but I had some problems with leaks when using them due, I imagine, to the force on the cabin top. And they are not really placed correctly for a 130 or larger. And I use tell-tails on my genoa and main to make sure they are trimmed well.

Any suggestions so that I can point better? Thanks.

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Pointing with a T37 Keel/Centerboard
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009 09:42 
Skipper

I've noticed that our T-37's will point fairly high, maybe not as sweet as a J boat, but I can get her to tack through 80 degrees+/- ......but it needs to be blowing fairly stiff. The Tartans are on the heavy end of things as far as the displacement/length ratios so if you are racing, you'll need to empty the water tanks and get that all-chain rode outta there, but you can leave the beer!!!
How old are your sails?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009 17:22 
Midshipman

My 140 has a foam luff and is about 7 years old. We only sail 6 months out of the year (here in MI), and it's had very light use. I don't race the boat so basically that sail is fairly new from a "use" standpoint. The main is older but is not original. It could stand to be replaced but as a "cruiser", there are other things I need more.

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009 20:33 
Skipper

Our full keel points poorly in light wind. When we race we're always 5-10 degrees off the heading of the pack of T10s, J's, etc.
Get 10-15 kts and she'll hold her own. c/b model points better in the soft winds though.

As far as tips to point better, I know High Flight likes it best when we have the 160 completely inside the lifelines, and the main's leach shaped to match the headsail. Most important for us (we have furling main so this may not apply to the stock setup) is to leave a bubble in the main. We drop the traveller just enough so the luff backwinds. This keeps the flow on the gib all the way back to the leech. If we trim up like normal people, we lose half a knot. Drives real racers crazy when they ride with us.

Light winds call for a more shape to the sails so easy on the outhaul and push the fairlead forward enough to get the center of the gib wanting to go over the lifelines.

Heavy winds, flatten things out and give some twist to the main if seas are big. You'll end up pointing better because the top of the main loses power first keeping you more upright as you crest the waves.

I'm no expert... but that's what our boat likes.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email