Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Sails

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Mar 2024 01:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sails
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 05:57 
Skipper

For those of you who have raced your Tartan 37s,,,,, any recommendations on sails ? Since I have no 150 I was wondering how the Tartan 37 handles and performs with one. Anyone use a Mylar/Kevlar sails ?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sails
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009 16:22 
Skipper

We're furling, but she loves it. We find that she points better/faster when we ease the main enough that the luff is threatening to backwind. Most racers think she needs trimming, but we lose speed by letting the wind off the headsail. We have to go through the drill of proving it to any racers that sail with us. Trim it up and you lose .2kts.

But when over powered you'll have major weather helm but manageable. Shoal keel may behave differently though.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009 08:59 
Able Bodied Seaman

I'm in the process of purchasing new sails for my Tartan 37. I ended up at Doyle because of the price; the main factor in selecting a sailmaker is the local loft and its ability to service the sails. North, Quantum, et al. are all fine organizations.

I race in club races with 3 or 4 regattas; all on Lake Michigan. Bottom line: For the Main I am going with their premium dacron - 6.53 oz. The main on the Tartan is not the primary "pulling" sail, thus this should work fine. It will be tri-radial, full batten with 2 reef points. It will be loose footed. I could have gone with LPT Pentex for the main, but was advised that it would cost more without the corresponding race benefits.

The genoa will be LPT Pentex/S glass - 155%. Where I race on Lake Michigan, we encounter mostly light winds - 15 and under. Thus this should work fine for me. Although Pentex and Dacron are durable, when Pentex reaches the end of it life the material is shot. Dacron, on the other hand, when it reaches the end of its useful racing life, the material is still usable for cruising and can be recut to give it another few years of effective racing. I do use roller furling. On Lake Michigan, PHRF handicaps are based upon a 155% genoa, whether you use it or not; if you prefer a smaller genoa, they assume you chose to penalize yourself. Other things I have learned in the process of settling on sails: (1) If you have roller furling and a 155% genoa, and you don't want to invest in more than one sail, the most you can reduce the 155% by rolling it up is 135%, and still have a somewhat effective genoa; otherwise, the cutting edge of the luff becomes too large; (2) thus, I am having my old genoa cut down to 125-130% for heavier winds; (3) The sailmakers all agreed that leaving the genoa rolled on the furler causes less wear than removing it after each race - the wear and tear in removing and rolling it until the next race tends to be hard on the sail unless done with great care; (4) It is much preferrable to have the sail maker measure your boat - this allows them to design sails to identify potential chafing spots, etc.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014 21:51 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi,

Its been a few years now, how are your new..(5 year old now) sails holding out? I had some Boston Doyles on my last boat and thought they were fantastic, however that was several years back. Just wondering if they have maintained their quality workmanship.... Looking for options, thanks.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014 18:30 
Able Bodied Seaman

We had the same racing sails that Ablebody Seaman described made by Doyle Detroit. I spoke to Spike at Boston Doyle in Sarnia/Point Edward before going with Detroit because I have known him and his family for years. Spike told me to buy in the states since he could not compete on the price. I don't know if that would still be true. Mine are in their 4th year. As far as I'm concerned, they still are in great shape. However, my oldest son is pushing hard to replace them with Kevlar sails - even offered to pay half the price. We'll see what this year brings in the Chicago Mac before investing in a new suit of sails.

Profile Email