Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - PHRF Ratings

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Mar 2024 02:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PHRF Ratings
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2007 22:02 
Rail Meat

Hi, assuming I follow through on my intent to get a Tartan 37 when I sell my little trawler, I probably won't do any more racing so the following question is really academic .. I noted that a T 37-1 CB is listed in the NE phrf base ratings at 177 while a T 37 is given a 138 base rating by the YRALIS.. My guess based on a few very informal speed contests between my previous boat a Pearson 10m and various T 37's is that the rating should be around the 138 in Long Island Sound. However, the question is how did such a big difference get started? I would assume that T37s are knocking people's socks off in New England waters with a 177 rating, Any ideas? :Thanks
Greg

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: PHRF Ratings
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2007 00:36 
Skipper

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73

There's some good info in this thread about our PHRF.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 May 2018 08:09 
Rail Meat

Reviving an old thread— I’ve read the linked one above as well. We’re racing a 1988 37-2 in the Tampa area (Davis Island YC) and inherited an insanely fast rating of 114 (111 when I add a sprit) and we’re just getting killed. Part of the problem is that the previous owner had really good and consistent crew and did a number of mods to the boat over the years and the rating was gradually whittled down to where it is now. Of course, I made it worse by adding the sprit for distance races and flying an a1 kite.. The mods include the taller mast, faired bottom and when the skeg was lost during a race to Mexico he had the rudder built up forward by 20% which greatly neutralized the helm. Still, this rating consistently knocks us out of competition in local races. We frequently race short-handed (rarely more than 4) and also a lot of the time double-handed with my wife. I’m going to appeal this with West Florida phrf, but need some numbers. Could anyone please give me your rating if you race your 37-2? Any help would be most appreciated!

Ray
Javelina #482

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 May 2018 22:30 
Skipper

Galveston Bay, Texas Non-Spin 161
Base 132
NSF 23
Fixed 2 Blade 6

Still got killed by a Ranger 29 every time. I could barely see him behind me when I crossed the line. He beat me by 2 minutes.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 May 2018 14:49 
Skipper

I'm PHRF Non Spin 153 on Chesapeake Bay with roller furling, CB and folding prop. We do all right in non spin.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019 15:11 
Skipper

Playing around, trying to find the end of the internet. Came across the polars for a T37. These can be useful and fun to play with, I think of polars as targets.

http://jieter.github.io/orc-data/site/#GRE/GRE1495

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 19:37 
Skipper

The draft, must be the deep keel. Does seem swallow. I would think their performance would be better upwind. With the keel/cbd maybe doing better with the sails cracked off wind. Got to believe the cbd model would have less wetted surface with board up.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email