Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Insurance!

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Insurance!
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019 18:26 
Rail Meat

Where's the best place to get it? What do I need to look for in my policy, and what's a ballpark of what you guys are paying?

Hull #340

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Insurance!
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2019 20:58 
Skipper

Geico/Boat US is what we use. $1000 give or take to keep it in Florida (hurricane zone).

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019 10:29 
Skipper

I contacted Geico/Boat U.S. and they had maximum coverage of $20,000.00. Told me that was the boat value without knowing anything further. No survey. The guy chuckled on the phone when I tried to point him toward Yachtworld and BUC and I just hung up. I have WAY more than that into it. Maybe I'll see if I can find a lesser prick at Geico.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019 01:43 
Skipper

You might try to get Boat US to do recommend a surveyor and get them to do a market value assessment. My boat is insured for $75K based on their surveyor’s assessment of its market value. My boat is in pristine shape, recent everything and it would take a knowledgeable sailor to pay that premium, but the surveyor said he thought it showed that value. When I installed the new engine, Boat US allowed me to note that and they recorded that somewhere and was part of the justification. If you go shopping for insurance, be aware fo the difference between Actual Cash Value and Replacement Value. Learn about it. One kind of policy is cheap and more or less worthless for anything but a hulk and the other requires some dialogue with an intelligent insurance actuary. I am not sure if Boat US is changing with their losses in the hurricanes, but they have been very good in the past.

Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email