Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Where should I buy new sails?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where should I buy new sails?
PostPosted: 31 May 2012 21:01 
Midshipman

I tried searching the forum for this topic, as I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask the question but I didn't find anything. Can anyone suggest a location for new (or really good used) sails? We're not racers, so I am looking for good quality but great economy. Thanks in advance.

ScottC

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Where should I buy new sails?
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012 14:34 
Midshipman

Hey man, we bought a new main last year (fully battened, 3 reefing points) from Paul at Omar Sailmakers in Beaufort. See: http://www.omarsail.com/ Paul was great to work with and even sold us a Strong Track at cost. I price shopped all the major lofts and Paul was a bit cheaper. Paul also repaired our old headsail and genoa at a reasonable price too.

Baxter.

P.S. Just noticed he has a picture of Stella Blue entering Nassau at dawn on his home page. Makes me like him more now!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012 16:36 
Skipper

We just had a new set of sails made for Betty Lou here in Portland, OR by Dale Waggmeester. For a fully battened loose-footed main (with a Tides Marine strong track and cars), a 135% genoa, and an asymmetrical spinnaker (with ATN snuffer and tacker) we paid under $8000. The dacron main and genny were built to the loft's "heavy-duty blue water" specs. The dacron sails were built at the local loft, while the aspin was built in Asia. Measurement at the boat was meticulous, and all the sails look and perform beautifully.

PM me for contact info.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 06:12 
Skipper

Where are you located? In the Chesapeake Bay region, there's Bacon and Associates in Annapolis that sells used sails and they used to sell new Rolly Tasker sails, but not sure if they still deal with them or not. They do have a web site that lists the used sail inventory and the sail dimensions.
http://www.baconsails.com/sailsearch

I had a new cruising main built in Deltaville from Ullman Sails/ Latell Sailmakers which I am very happy with. Very well constructed with triple stitching, three reef points, full battens nice leach adjustments...etc....

I would suggest that you get to know a local shop for service and potential necessary tweaking of the sail after testing it out.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012 06:11 
Skipper

I just got a quote for a "working" jib and a "Mack Pack" from Mack Sails in Stuart, Florida that was very competitive.

Profile Email