Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Used W50 for Sale

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used W50 for Sale
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018 09:23 
Skipper

I removed my W50 from my boat last week after I couldn't determine why it was acting as if had seized somehow. Without going into the mind numbing details, initially the starter seized ( worn aft end bushing). I purchased a new starter from a Westerbeke dealer, installed it and the engine still acted the same as if it were seized. I pulled the engine last week and removed the transmission. No problem there. I then removed the new starter, and the engine rotated normally. Alas, the new starter was the problem. The new starter 'looked' identical to the original, and fit like a glove when I installed it. After removing it, I found that the bendix gear had the same number of teeth, but its diameter was 1.51" vs 1.41" for the original. Because of this mismatch, the new starter was jamming the flywheel. This issue had been unresolved for the last 2 1/2 months, and during that time I decided to replace the engine with a Beta 38.

Now, I find myself with my old W50, which is perfectly fine, only needing a starter. I initially thought that I would remove the salvageable parts and sell them as others have done. But since the engine and transmission are fine, I thought there maybe someone who would like for a direct, low cost replacement for an engine that is reaching its end of life. I'm offering this engine for $1000 or best offer. It's already on a pallet, and it can be picked up at my house in Cape Cod, or I can deliver to a shipper chosen by the buyer. Sorry, the buyer would need to pay shipping costs.

Attached is a picture of the engine. I removed the exhaust manifold to lighten it before the lift.

I don't know the engine hours, but I put about 1700 hours since I owned it. I would guess it has 4000 plus. I changed the oil every 50 hours. I've had no problems with it other than the mechanical lift pump failed 2 years ago, which I replaced. I made some improvements: I removed the fuel pressure switch that activates the control panel (it was leaking), I installed a relay that powers the glow plugs directly from the hot lead on the starter (eliminates the long wire run from that same lead to the control panel and back), and I installed a 100 amp alternator.

If I can't sell the engine as unit, I will be offering its parts at a later date.

I do have the following additional spare parts which I can sell now. These include: 1 raw water pump, 2 55 amp alternators, 1 fuel injector, 1 fuel injector line, 1 exhaust manifold, 1 raw water HX, 1 oil cooler, and 4 engine mounts.

If you have any questions, please contact me via email (jvoelxen (at) gmail.com). The email and PM functions on this site don't seem to work.

Attachments:
Used Westerbeke 50 Engine.jpg
Used Westerbeke 50 Engine.jpg [ 1.35 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Last edited by jvoelxen on 19 Nov 2018 22:26, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Used W50 for Sale
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018 23:32 
Skipper

Trying to convince the Admiral and CFO to part with some funds. This could take a while.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018 09:33 
Skipper

An update on my W50 that I'd like to sell. I rebuilt my old starter, installed it and now the engine runs perfectly, even started easily in our current sub freezing temperature.

I'm sort of attached to this engine; it served me well for over 15 years and I'd like to see it continue its life. Given that, I'll accept any reasonable offer for it before I break it up for parts. I'm also going to try to sell it on Craig's List.

The engine runs well, doesn't smoke, does leak a little oil (not bad). I put over 100 hours on it this last season, and the oil level on the dip stick had shown no perceptible change.

Great, easy swap out for anyone interested. Please contact me at jvoelxen at gmail.com.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 17:45 
Skipper

Engine and all parts are sold.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019 07:58 
Skipper

jvoelxen,,,,,

My starter has been getting a bit tired over the past few years... your description of hard starting is my experience.... I have a couple of questions...

1. If I order a new starter, just exactly what model and specs do you recommend?

2. If I rebuild the starter, can I do it myself or did you take it somewhere to have it rebuilt ? If you did it yourself, where did you buy the rebuild kit and how do I get one ?

cheers,

Profile Email