Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke 4-107 Oil Level Check

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke 4-107 Oil Level Check
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 02:26 
Able Bodied Seaman

How can I accurately check engine oil level without over-servicing the system? The dipstick came out dry on a before-start check of a boat I'm considering. We added oil to bring it up to the minimum mark, but because the engine is mounted at such an extreme angle wouldn't that render the dipstick range marks inaccurate? Is the dipstick modified to account for the angle of the engine mount? Are you using a modified dipstick to accurately check your oil levels and prevent over-servicing? Are modified dipsticks available to reflect the mounting angle of the engine? Thanks for thoughtful replies.

Timoko
Almost a T-37 owner (or will the boat own me?)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke 4-107 Oil Level Check
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 08:03 
Skipper

It would scare me that the dipstick was dry to begin with. Was the engine run by the owner without adequate oil? Otherwise, if the boat is floating, you should be able to use the range on the dipstick to confirm the oil level. One thing I would do for sure would be to make sure the oil system was primed before starting the engine. On mine, I might push the starter button for 10-15 seconds with the stop plunger pulled out. Not sure how the 4-107 works. Others may have better ideas.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke 4-107 Oil Level Check
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 11:28 
Skipper

I find on the W40 the level can vary a bit with the "list" of the boat more than the fore and aft angle. After an oil change I do the same as the previous post and crank it over with the stopper pulled for 10 seconds to build up a bit of oil pressure. As he said it would be a good idea if the motor hasn't been running for a while also.
I think they are calibrated already with the angle of the installed motor taken into consideration,

Richard

Profile Email