Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Any advice on fixing cockpit grate?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any advice on fixing cockpit grate?
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017 16:26 
Rail Meat

My cockpit grate is in bad shape. Specifically, the long straight (aft) edge and one of the short ends have fallen off, as can be seen from attached picture (which actually has the short end held on via plastic wire ties)

Any advice on how to attached these? I've tried gorilla glue and clamps (twice) but it did not hold. I will probably just go with a few nails, to augment the glue, but was first wondering whether anyone else has a better idea (or better experience with the same repair).

Thanks, in advance.

-Jim

Attachment:
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg [ 135.87 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Any advice on fixing cockpit grate?
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017 14:14 
Skipper

Epoxy glue after cleaning the joints with acetone. Nails probably won't be a really effective mechanical cure: screws or better yet a fore/aft all-thread fastener

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017 08:06 
Skipper

Borrow some vises that will span across the grate.... I would use West 10 adhesive (Westmarine). Clamp tight. I would also get some small wooden rods and drill at least 3 holes for those rods and glue them in as I glued the entire edge before applying the vises.... should last longer than the rest of the grate.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017 12:36 
Skipper

I second Mike's suggestion. I would not recommend using Acetone to clean anything you are eventually going to try to put together with epoxy. It leaves residue that weakens the bond. Acetone is great for epoxy clean up from stuff you never intend to put together, but alcohol is a better solvent for cleaning surfaces you want to put together with any adhesive.

Ray Durkee

Profile Email