Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Navigation

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 12:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Navigation
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2007 02:44 
Rail Meat

Does anyone have advice on using a laptop versus built in desktop processor for running GPS-linked nav software? I have an inverter but am not sure if issues exist regarding running on 110V vs laptop on 12V connection.
Thanks- Kelly

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Navigation
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007 02:31 
Skipper

Laptop will be designed to consume much less power. And running nav software doesn't require that much power for most programs. Also a laptop will generate less heat and be designed to be shaken around a bit. If you're designing from scratch you can have the best of both. You can get a smaller case pretty cheap lately and slap in a mobile processor and 12V power supply.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007 16:32 
Skipper

Hi Kelly --

I'm running a laptop now, connected to a 19" flat panel monitor on a swing mount above the nav station. But I'm going to be switching to a mini desktop from Shuttle PC soon. Here's the link:

http://us.shuttle.com/ModelsX.aspx

I'm a computer graphic artist, and work on the boat, so I want big performance in a small package. I also use the PC as the entertainment center, so the box described above is ideal.

-- Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007 15:07 
Skipper

I just got a Shuttle for my desktop. Great design, good heat dissipation, and pair it with a low power consumption processor and you're set for underway computing. Hate to give up all the PCI slots but most things are USB nowadays so I'm getting by. This one would fit nicely on a boat.

If you're rich in $$$ and poor in tech skills there are prepackaged solutions for Cars that would work well.
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/default.asp has many small 12V PCs.

But to answer your question, the power supply you use isn't as important as the power draw. (Though there is some loss involved in taking 12V to AC only to convert it back to 12V,5V,etc.)

This might be a nice addition too!

For more info on powering a PC on a boat (same as in a car) the MP3Car forum is a good place to browse for ideas.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2007 01:43 
Rail Meat

Thank you both for the input- I will follow the links-
Kelly

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007 07:54 
Rail Meat

We use a Toshiba laptop hooked through the serial port to the GPS and run Nobeltec software. I bought the 12VDC adapter from Toshiba and hardwired it into the nav station. The system works well, moderately priced, all things considered, and draws very little power. I carry the laptop back and forth from the boat we set it up on the nav table in good weather and back on the quarterberth away from any possible spray in bad.

Chip Seltzer
Esprit #324

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2007 01:01 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the info about your Nobletech/laptop setup-
do you need to use an external antena for the GPS?
Kelly

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007 12:16 
Skipper

cseltz wrote:
We use a Toshiba laptop hooked through the serial port to the GPS and run Nobeltec software. I bought the 12VDC adapter from Toshiba and hardwired it into the nav station. The system works well, moderately priced, all things considered, and draws very little power. I carry the laptop back and forth from the boat we set it up on the nav table in good weather and back on the quarterberth away from any possible spray in bad.

Chip Seltzer
Esprit #324

That's about my setup but nothing is hardwired. I bring the laptop for anything other than daysailing. I purchased the Lake MI e-charts and run the free SeaClear software with a USB GPS. Started out with a DB9 serial connection to the BNC bus for the loran, but the little USB GPS was more accurate. Still have the serial cable in case I wish to make the laptop an NMEA "Talker" so the AutoHelm will take it's info from there. I put the auido feed into the stereo so it can double as tunes while motoring. Nice setup for cruising and it allows me to snap off routes for the cruise log...

The USB GPS came with road mapping software so I reuse the whole rig in the car when I'm on a road trip.
I think the charts were $150 for all MI NOAA, nav software = free!, USB GPS = $85 bundled with software (less if you buy it separately.)

Profile Email